Introduction to Building Science
This course is a comprehensive tour of basic residential construction. Lessons cover the following house components:
- Foundations – system types; material properties; construction methods; sizing and layout.
- Floors – framing systems, materials, sizing and layout; decking materials and fastening systems; solid wood joists vs. engineered I-joists.
- Walls – stud framing; corner bracing; post and beam systems; insulation materials and methods; structural insulated panels.
- Roofs – trusses vs. rafters; sheathing materials and methods; roof loads and load paths.
- Residential windows – sealed insulated glass units, low-e coatings, installation and air sealing.
- Exterior cladding systems – types; installation; finishing.
- The building envelope – the moisture and thermal barrier of a house.
- Mechanical systems – rough plumbing; electrical service; HVAC systems.
To access this course you need to sign in.